Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cold, Colder & Stinkin' Cold!

One of the things we were looking forward to when we went to the U.S. for our visit was cooler weather.  Let's just say: we got what we wished for...and then some. 

We started our visit in North Carolina and I thought I was going to die from the cold. 

We headed to Florida where the weather was 70-80 during the day while were there and cooler at night.  Sounds nice, huh?  Nope.  I still froze.  70-80 is still a long way from 90-100.  (I especially froze when my MIL controlled the AC.  Brrrrrrrr.)

We then headed to West Virginia.  It was snowing when we got off the plane!  It was exciting for a minute and then the pain of the cold hit me.  That was December 1st.  December 1st!

From there we went to Ohio, Kentucky, and we also drove through Virginia and Maryland on our way to the airport in D.C.  From December 1st to the day we flew out (December 19th) it was non-stop freezing weather.  It didn't always snow, though we saw a good bit of snow, but it stayed at about freezing the whole time we were there.  I can't tell you how many times we heard something along the lines of, "It doesn't usually snow before Christmas.  It must be fore you!" 

All I can deduce was that my kids must had prayed we'd see snow and God, for sure, answered.

I learned something new about myself.  I do not like the cold.  It was miserable after 18 months of hot.  I really and truly could not get warm.  I thought I was going to die.

This brings me to a conversation we had with Africans last fall.  Fall...not even winter!  (It came to mind many, many times while we were in the U.S.)  It went something like this:

Them: What is it like in the U.S. right now?
Us: It's nice weather.  Not cold, not hot.
Them: What temperature?
Us: {We told them the approx. temps in Celsius.}
Them: That is cold!  Too cold!!!  We would die!!!!  We would not survive. {Absolutely serious.}

At the time I thought it to be hilarious.  Now, I think they were right.  I sure felt like I was going to die in the cold weather!

But seriously, I was thankful to not be sweating 24/7 and when I got home to Africa I was thankful for the warmth. :) I think that was a win-win.

What is your perfect weather?

Kind regards,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and for commenting. It is much appreciated!